Saturday 8 August 2015

A Skateboarder's Philosophy


Where to even begin? 

This really should have been my first post. I just wanted to jot down a few points (mostly for myself) as to what this blog's purpose is, as well as a few guidelines.

I'll root my philosophy and writings in the following principles:

  1. A simple life is easier to maintain, less stressful and very fulfilling.
  2. A simple life means living with as few possessions as you need to feel fulfilled.
  3. Work to live, don't live to work. (I'm a bit of a hypocrite here, but I'm working on it!)
  4. Find a way to enjoy your work.
  5. Find and follow your passions.
  6. Be a well rounded and open-minded individual.
  7. Life-long learning is the key to the previous point.
  8. Don't be afraid of failure, that's where we learn.
  9. Love is of the utmost importance.
  10. Health is of the utmost importance.
My blogs will come from the heart, be honest, thoughtful and attempt to inspire others. I will keep them reasonably short and concise and use humor wherever I can. I may use vulgar language when appropriate or just because I feel like it. Most importantly I won't hold back. I'll be open about my thoughts and emotions concerning any topic that floats through my mind. After all, my true philosophy is nothing more than deep contemplation. The topics can range from the mindbogglingly difficult, like what the universe is made of to the benignly simple, like "why I like camouflage patterns so much?". 

I tend to ponder the question: "What is a good life?", the most. To me, it is a simple one without drama, without anger or anxiety, yet one where we strive to always be better versions of ourselves. Simple lives give us more time for reflection, to live our passions, to find our path in life and to simply relax. For me it's in this relaxed state that the magic happens. This could be swinging gently in a hammock in the shade of a hot summer's day or through the countless kilometers clicked off while riding a bike, running a trail or skating down a smooth paved road.

Here's to the simple life, may you have even just a slice for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment